The Flat Tire and the Flashlight
We just wanted to let you all know that we arrived in Canada (home) at 12:15 a.m. on Friday morning. We left the Williamsport, PA area around 2 p.m. and were making great time until we reached Buffalo. We’re not sure what it is about “Buffalo, NY” but so far, our experiences in this city have not been positive. When we were on our way to PA in December we ran into a blizzard and this time it was a flat tire! We had just pulled off on an exit ramp and realized it was the wrong one, so John backed up to get back on the highway. He turned the car to merge back on to the highway, but was still somewhat on the shoulder and must have hit something. Our tire (brand new tire) was flat in an instant, not only flat, but had a one inch gash that could not be repaired. Of course, just as we started to unload part of the car to reach the jack it began to snow! Now dark and cold we happened to ask the kids if any of them had a flashlight. Rachel lit up and said she had one, and it was handy! We proceeded to get the spare (a doughnut) from under the car and jack up the car on the passenger side front to change the tire. It took about 45 minutes until all was said and done, however, we knew we needed to get a new tire to make the rest of the trip. Niagara Falls, NY was just down the road and after driving around for 20 minutes and asking a few folks, we found a Pep Boys that was still open (now 8 p.m.) and could replace the tire for us.
I asked Rachel what prompted her to bring a flashlight with her. She told me that she knew she would probably be reading over vacation and that she thought she may need it if it was dark in the car. I believe God prompted her to pack that flashlight because He knew what was going to happen. The kids found the adventure somewhat eventful (unlike their parents) and asked us if they could tell their friends that we got a flat tire on our trip. It’s so interesting to experience life through their eyes. I told John we now have a road trip story. Every missionary has a road trip story and we have a feeling this may be the first of more to come. It’s all part of the training (I said to myself).


1 Comments:
I'm smiling as I read your blog, and remember back...Oh, those days of cross-country travels during the NTM training, and "deputation," traveling with a family (4 children)! God bless you guys, and make you a blessing, and thrust you out to the field! I thought of you again this morning when I saw a headline in the news--of course it wasn't talking about you (name spelled differently), but it was fun: "Julie L. Myers, picked by President Bush to head the bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, has never dealt extensively with immigration issues." Can you guess where I'm going with that?! :-)
Keep in touch, Mike
Post a Comment
<< Home